Friday, September 27, 2013

The Big Question - Part 3 (and this is it, I promise!)

So oil companies and their marketing arms are always looking to distinguish their line of oils from the next company.  I think we all get that.  And it’s OK to have a loyalty to a good name-brand oil if it has worked for you over the years.  But I submit to you that a big portion of the differences between oils (other than viscosity differences, i.e. 10W-30 and 0W-20) has more to do with marketing than it does with chemical engineering.  

Just one man’s humble opinion!  But here is the danger and I will give you a real life example;  I once had a customer come in that went on and on and raved about a certain brand of oil that was absolutely the best and worked wonders for his car and he would never think of using
Jiffy Lube
anything else.  So when I checked his oil prior to draining it, I discovered that he was more than 2 quarts low.  That is in the danger zone.  It doesn't matter what oil you use and how good it is if you let it run low.  So my humble opinion once more is don’t focus so much on the brand of oil, with the caveat that you use a good, well known brand, but rather changing it regularly at a predetermined interval.   

Our customer service advisors are trained to go over what your car’s manufacturer recommends for your specific vehicle and driving style.  And to use that interval when we print out your reminder sticker that goes up in the corner of your windshield.  Keep in mind also that I would err on the side of service more often than not often enough.   Am I biased?  Sure, but I have been in the industry for over 30 years now and have seen lots of recalls involving engine sludging and engine damage.   All of which could probably have been eliminated with more frequent service.   Go ahead, google “automotive recalls – engine sludge” and you will see a host of recalls over this issue.  The problem that I see is if you tell someone to change their oil at 5K miles, they will do it at 7 or 8k.  If you tell them 10K, they will do it at 13 or 14K or worse.  So get on a good schedule and stick with it.  We can help you and a good idea is to talk to the store manager and see what he or she thinks about recommended service intervals.  


One last thing.  If you are thinking “well, Keith just wants to sell more oil changes” you would be correct.  I do, but I honestly think that taking care of your vehicle saves you money in the long run.  Just know that the automakers want to sell more autos.  And like a customer told me long ago; “taking care of your car can be expensive…but it’s a lot cheaper than car payments!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment